Many Arab immigrants in Canada have been successful in integrating into Canadian society and have learned to speak English and French, the two official languages of Canada. They have made valuable contributions to the country’s growth.
In this article, we will discuss the top cities in Canada that have a high Arab population. Join us as we explore these diverse and welcoming communities.
Arab Communities in Canada
Arab immigrants in Canada primarily settle in four provinces: Quebec, Ontario, Uttara, and British Columbia. There are several reasons why these provinces are more attractive to Arab immigrants, including opportunities for employment, access to cultural amenities, and a welcoming community.
Why Arabs Flock to Canada
- Economic factors: such as job opportunities and low cost of living in certain cities.
- Social factors: including family migration, kinship, religion, and nationality.
- Language factor: Many Arab immigrants from Lebanon or the Maghreb region (including Algeria, Tunisia, and Morocco) prefer to settle in the French-speaking province of Quebec due to their familiarity with the French language.
- Historical immigration trends: Arab immigration to Canada dates back to the 19th century, with the first wave being Lebanese immigrants. Arab immigrants often choose cities with a large Arab population to feel a sense of community.
- Political factors and wars in certain Arab countries: Toronto has seen an influx of Arab immigrants from Kuwait following the Gulf War, and over 3% of Montreal’s population is made up of Lebanese Arabs who migrated due to conflict in their homeland. In recent years, there has been an increase in Iraqi and Syrian refugees moving to Canada.
- Educational reasons: Some Arab immigrants come to Canada to pursue higher education, and Arab Canadians generally have a higher level of education compared to the average Canadian.
According to statistics, the majority of Arab Canadian citizens prefer to live in major cities that are both social and economic hubs. These cities are also some of the most diverse in Canada, and 89% of the Arab Canadian population resides in them. These cities are often seen as more attractive because they offer a range of opportunities and amenities.
Arabs in Major Canadian Cities
According to statistics, the provinces of Quebec and Ontario have the largest Arab populations in Canada. This is because five out of six Arab immigrants choose to settle in these provinces. Alberta and British Columbia also have significant Arab populations. These provinces are popular choices for Arab immigrants due to their size and the many opportunities they offer.
The Best Cities in Canada for Arabs 2023
The best cities in Canada for Arabs to move and live in and search for job opportunities are located within four provinces according to the following:
The Best Cities for Arabs in Quebec Province
The Arab population in the province of Quebec is significantly larger than the indigenous population, which may be due to several factors:
- The prevalence of French, the official language of Quebec, among Arab immigrants of Moroccan origin.
- The low cost of living in Quebec may also contribute to the high number of Arab immigrants.
- The province of Quebec has a program that actively encourages immigration and offers various benefits to newcomers.
The following cities in the province of Quebec have the highest concentration of Arab Canadians:
- Quebec City is one of the best cities in Canada for Arabs.
- It is the capital of the province of Quebec and the second largest city in the province.
- It is the eleventh largest city in Canada by population and is known for its stability.
- Quebec City has a temperate humid continental climate.
- Its economy is driven by sectors such as biotechnology, tourism, laboratories, health, nutrition, applied technology, and insurance.
- It is known for its history, museums, and cultural institutes, and is considered the “city of theater.”
- The Saint Laurent River runs through Quebec City, giving it economic importance.
- Quebec City is a popular tourist destination, known for its festivals and historical sites and museums. It has been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- The Arab population in Quebec City makes up 2% of the total population, which is a larger percentage than the indigenous population.
- Laval is one of Canada’s best cities for Arabs.
- It is a large and important city in the province of Quebec.
- Laval is located in the southwest of the province, north of Montreal, and includes the most important administrative regions.
- It is the third largest city in the province by area.
- Laval is home to a diverse population of immigrants from around the world, including Arab countries.
- The city’s economy is diverse and provides job opportunities.
- Laval is known for its diverse languages and cultures, healthcare, and advanced educational system.
- Many Arab immigrants choose to live and work in Laval, which is considered one of the best cities in Canada.
- Montreal is one of the largest cities in Canada with a significant Arab population.
- The Arab population in Montreal is around 125,000, making up 36% of the total Arab population in Canada.
- The Lebanese and Moroccan nationalities make up the largest portion of the Arab population in Montreal, with the Lebanese making up over 3% of the city’s population.
- The Iraqi, Somali, and other nationalities make up a smaller portion of the Arab population in Montreal.
- Many Arab immigrants choose to live in Montreal due to its large Arab population and the fact that French is taught in Lebanese schools, which makes it easier for Lebanese immigrants to settle in the city.
- Gatineau is one of the best cities in Canada for Arabs.
- It is located in Quebec, on the border of Ontario, and is adjacent to Ottawa.
- Gatineau is known for its beautiful gardens, diverse job opportunities, and the presence of the Canadian Museum of History, the Gatineau Festival of Flying Balloons, and the Snow Festival.
- The Arab community in Ottawa and Gatineau makes up the third largest Arab population in Canada.
The Best Cities for Arabs in Ontario Province
The province of Ontario is home to several of the top cities for Arabs in Canada. Located in eastern Canada, Ontario is the largest province in the country and is where the Canadian capital, Ottawa, is located. The Arab population in Ontario is significantly larger than in other provinces in Canada, and there are several reasons for this:
- Ontario offers ample facilities and support for immigrants, making it a desirable destination for Arab immigrants.
- The culture and way of life in Ontario are welcoming and inclusive, making it easy for Arab immigrants to adapt.
- Arabic is the third most commonly spoken language in Ontario, after English and French, which helps Arab immigrants feel at home and communicate.
- Ontario has many job opportunities available, particularly in industries such as healthcare, technology, and finance.
- Wages in Ontario are typically high, making it a attractive place to work and live for Arab immigrants.
- Those who achieve distinguished achievements at work can easily obtain all of their rights in Ontario, making it an appealing place to live and succeed.
Ontario is a great place for Arabs to live and thrive in Canada.
- Ottawa is located in the southeast of Ontario, on the south bank of the Ottawa River.
- Its climate is humid continental with low temperatures, making it a popular tourist destination for skiing and snowboarding.
- Ottawa is bilingual and has many jobs in the technology sector and the federal government.
- It has a good transportation network including highways and railways, as well as international and regional airports.
- Ottawa is home to several universities and colleges, including the University of Ottawa, which is the largest bilingual university in the world and has a 97% employment rate for graduates.
- Ottawa is the national capital and home to many embassies, trade and financial groups, and federal government institutions such as the Bank of Canada, the Royal Guard of Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada, and the Queen’s Printer.
- Arabic is the third most commonly spoken language in Ottawa, after English and French.
- The Arab population in Ottawa makes up over 3% of the city’s population and it is home to one of the largest Lebanese communities in Canada.
- Toronto is one of Canada’s best cities for Arabs and is the capital of Ontario Province.
- It is a large city known for its strong economy, with many technology companies and a high proportion of Canadian manufactured products.
- Toronto is the most densely populated city in Canada and has a diverse immigrant population.
- It is known for its high quality of life, with a high per capita income and a variety of job opportunities and low unemployment rate.
- The education system in Toronto is high quality, with 72% of Arab Canadians in Toronto having post-secondary degrees.
- The Arab population in Toronto is the second largest in Canada, making up 22% of the total Arab population in Canada.
- The Egyptian and Lebanese communities are the largest Arab communities in Toronto, and the city is also home to the largest Somali community outside of Africa.
- Brampton is one of the best cities in Canada for Arabs, located in the province of Ontario.
- It is known as the “City of Flowers” and offers a high quality of life, combining urban amenities with a connection to nature.
- Brampton is a good choice for Arab immigrants to Canada due to its amenities and cultural diversity.
- Mississauga is one of the best cities in Canada for Arabs after immigration.
- It is a modern city that is diverse and welcoming to immigrants from different cultures.
- Mississauga is home to the largest shopping centers in Canada, including the Square One Center.
- It is the safest city in Canada, having been ranked first in safety among Canadian cities for eight consecutive years.
- The Arabic language is spoken by 3.2% of the population in Mississauga and there are 21,990 Canadians of Arab origin living in the city.
- Mississauga offers job opportunities for newcomers, particularly those with experience and knowledge of the English language.
- The cost of living in Mississauga is low, with reasonable rents.
- The Arab population in Mississauga is predominantly made up of Egyptians, Iraqis, Lebanese, Algerians, Moroccans, and Syrians.
- Windsor is one of the best cities in Canada for Arabs when immigrating to Canada.
- It is located in the far south of Canada and is known as the “Red Rose” and the capital of the Canadian automotive industry.
- Windsor has a large percentage of Arab immigrants due to its affordable cost of living and warm summer climate.
- The city has a rich industrial and manufacturing heritage and its economy is based on manufacturing, tourism, education, and government services.
- Windsor is an attractive place to live for immigrants, with a high proportion of immigrants, including a significant number of Arab immigrants.
- Approximately 27% of Windsor’s population is made up of Arab immigrants, with a large percentage coming from Iraq (20.2%) and Syria (10.5%).
The Best Cities for Arabs in Alberta Province
Alberta is a province in Canada that offers job opportunities for immigrants, particularly in the agricultural, oil, mining, and technology industries. Alberta is known for its tolerant and accepting nature towards immigrants, making it a welcoming place for Arabs to live without fear of racial discrimination.
The best cities in Alberta for Arabs is Calgary
- Calgary is one of the best cities in Canada for Arabs in the province of Alberta.
- It is located in the south of Alberta and is the main and largest city in the province.
- The economy of Calgary is based on oil, agriculture, and pastoralism.
- Calgary is known for its dry, sunny climate and opportunities for skiing and winter sports in the winter.
- It is ranked highly in terms of quality of life and is considered a clean, safe, and beautiful city.
- The city is home to the Peace Bridge, a pedestrian bridge that is known for its beauty.
- The Calgary Arab Festival is held annually to celebrate Arab culture and build relationships between the Arab community and other communities in Calgary.
- Calgary is the third largest urban area in Canada and is a popular destination for immigration, especially for Arabs.
The Best Cities for Arabs in British Columbia Province
British Columbia is a unique and beautiful province in Canada that is home to some of the best cities for Arabs. Many Arab immigrants come to this province seeking job opportunities and a peaceful, civilized life. If they are able to obtain permanent residence in Canada, they will have access to all of their political and material rights.
Some of the cities in British Columbia that are popular among Arab immigrants include:
- The capital of the District of Columbia, located on the southern part of Vancouver Island
- Ranked as the fifth best small city in the world
- Named after the Queen of Britain and is also called the city of magic, beauty, and serenity
- The second largest city in the province of British Columbia and is the oldest city in Canada’s far west
- Offers job opportunities and has a welcoming culture for newcomers
- Characterized by its economic and cultural diversity and has charming landscapes overlooking the Pacific Ocean and mountains, with many parks and green spaces containing gardens
- Has a climate with mild rainy winters and warm sunny summers
- Popular destination for Arab immigrants due to the job opportunities it offers.
- Charming landscapes overlooking the Pacific Ocean and mountains, as well as many parks and green spaces with gardens
- Climate that is generally mild due to the surrounding mountains, which may be appealing to immigrants from hot regions
- Large retail and wholesale center in Western Canada
- Diverse economy based on natural resources such as forests, mining, agriculture, shipping, and various industries such as chemical and metal production, trucks and boats, paper processing, hydroelectric projects, and the wood industry
- Strong tourism sector, which is the second largest economic resource in the city, and a major port for importing and exporting goods
- High proportion of the Arab population, although the cost of living and housing prices are high compared to other cities in Canada
- An average per capita income and lifestyle that contribute to a good quality of life, making Vancouver a popular destination for Arab immigrants to Canada.
Immigration to Canada
Lebanese immigrants were among the first to come to Canada, and Arab immigration to the country has continued throughout the years. In the aftermath of both World War I and World War II, many Arab immigrants came to Canada as a result of instability and colonization in their home countries.
In recent years, there has been an increase in the number of refugees from Arab countries, particularly Iraq and Syria, fleeing wars and crises.
Q: What are the places where Arabs gather in Canada?
A: Arabs in Canada tend to gather in the provinces of Quebec, Ontario, Utara, and British Columbia.
Q: What are the reasons for the gathering of Arabs in Canada?
A: There are several reasons why Arabs may gather in Canada, including economic factors, social factors, language factors, historical migration trends, political factors and wars in some Arab countries, and educational reasons.
Q: What characterizes the city of Victoria?
A: Victoria is characterized by being the second largest city in the province of British Columbia, being the oldest city in Canada’s far west, having job opportunities for newcomers, having a welcoming culture for newcomers, and being diverse in terms of its economic and cultural makeup.
Q: What characterizes the province of Alberta?
A: Alberta is characterized by its diversified economic activity, particularly in agriculture, and its tolerant and accepting attitude towards immigrants, which means that Arab residents in this province do not typically experience racial discrimination.
Q: What are the best cities in Canada for Arabs?
A: Some of the best cities in Canada for Arabs may include cities in the provinces of Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia.