Here’s Why Your Brandt TV Remote Isn’t Working
If your Brandt TV remote is not functioning, remove the batteries from the remote and press the Power button for 20 seconds. Then, replace the batteries and turn on your TV. If this doesn’t resolve the issue, replace the batteries with new ones.
This solves remote control problems in most cases. However, if it doesn’t, there are several other solutions you can try. Let me guide you step by step.
Remove the Batteries from Your Brandt Remote
Most remote control issues are often caused by batteries.
Start by removing the batteries from your remote.
- Make sure to remove all the batteries.
- Press and hold the Power (On/Off) button on the remote for at least 20 seconds.
- After 20 seconds, insert the batteries back into the remote.
- Turn on your TV.
Your TV should now turn on normally.
Change the Batteries
If your remote control still doesn’t work, it’s worth replacing the batteries to rule out any issues in that regard.
The lifespan of batteries can depend on various factors, including the brand, operating temperature, and any damage caused by, for example, dropping your remote control.
Check the battery connectors in your remote control.
If you notice any powder or white crystals, it’s due to the oxidation of your old batteries.
Start by removing the old batteries and make sure to dispose of them properly at a designated collection point.
Then, clean the battery terminals inside the remote control to remove any corrosion. You can use a cloth soaked in lemon juice or a solution of baking soda dissolved in water.
Once the compartment is completely dry, after a few hours of waiting, insert new batteries into your Brandt TV remote control and check again if it works.
Note that all stores selling batteries must accept them for free disposal once they are used. You can find collection points at the entrances of supermarkets, hardware stores, or waste disposal facilities, and sometimes even at town halls.
When you press a button on your remote control, it transmits the information to your TV using two infrared (IR) receivers:
- The first one is located on the upper edge of your remote control and sends the infrared signal.
- The second one is located on your TV, usually on the lower edge. It receives and converts the received signal into the desired action.
It is common for an obstacle, such as a decorative element, to be placed in front of your TV’s receiver.
I suggest removing any objects in front of or near your Brandt TV.
Additionally, try moving closer to your TV. If you are too far away, your remote control may have difficulty functioning properly.
Check if the Remote Control’s Infrared Sensor is Working
Both the remote control and your TV’s receiver work based on an infrared beam.
One of the simplest ways to check if the infrared sensor on your remote control is working is to use the camera on your phone.
First, open the camera app on your phone and look at your remote control through the phone’s screen.
Next, press any button on the remote control.
A functional remote control will have a violet or red light that flashes, as shown below.
If your batteries are not the issue and you don’t see any light, your remote control is likely defective.
Restart Your Brandt TV
Also known as a power cycle, this action may help resolve the issue with your Brandt TV remote control:
- Unplug your TV from the power outlet.
- Wait for at least 60 seconds.
- Plug in the power cable and turn on your TV.
This operation helps drain any residual electrical charge from your TV.
Once you have plugged in the TV after the 60-second wait, it should turn on without any problems.
If your remote control still doesn’t work, try the following.
Firmly Press All the Buttons on Your Brandt Remote Control
Sometimes, one or more buttons on your remote control may be stuck, preventing all the buttons on the remote control from working.
This issue is usually caused by dirt inside the remote control and is relatively easy to resolve.
Press all the buttons on your Brandt remote control and tap the remote control against the palm of your hand several times.
This may be enough to unblock your remote control.
Accidental Liquid Exposure
If liquid, such as a carbonated beverage, has entered your remote control, it can leave residues that hinder proper contact of the buttons and affect its functionality.
You will need to open the casing of your Brandt remote control and clean its various components.
Open the casing of your Brandt remote control:
- First, remove the cover and the batteries from the back of your remote control.
- Check if there are any screws to remove. If so, remove them using a small screwdriver.
- Then, separate the two parts of your remote control. Insert a flat screwdriver into the gap between the two panels of your remote control and gently pry, sliding the screwdriver. The different sections of your remote control will come apart.
This operation should be done with care to avoid damaging your remote control.
Clean your remote control:
- Start by removing any visible debris.
- Then, clean the rubber and plastic parts of your remote control with clean water and a toothbrush (do not clean the circuit board with water). Dry them thoroughly.
- Finally, use cotton swabs and Isopropyl alcohol to clean the circuit board and the inner side of the buttons that make contact with the circuit board.
Check the contact between the rubber buttons and the circuit board:
Sometimes, the circuit board around the buttons or the pads on the back of the rubber buttons may be slightly damaged.
Once all these steps have been completed, you can reassemble your remote control. Gentle pressure between the two plastic parts of the remote control will allow for easy reassembly.
Finally, insert the batteries and test your Brandt remote control again.
When to Buy a New Remote Control for Your Brandt TV
If you don’t feel comfortable performing disassembly and cleaning of your remote control.
If you have tried all the solutions listed above and haven’t noticed any positive results.
Then, you have no choice but to purchase a new one.
As you may have noticed, the majority of solutions to the malfunctioning of your Brandt TV remote control are simple to implement and can be quickly tested before deciding to buy a new one. Here’s a summary:
- Remove and reinstall the batteries.
- Change the batteries.
- Avoid obstacles.
- Check the infrared sensor on your remote control.
- Restart your TV.
- Tap on your remote control.
- Thoroughly clean your remote control.
By following these steps, you can often resolve remote control issues and avoid the need for a replacement.