Many users have reported that the ColorOS 12 update from Oppo has led to significant battery drain and overheating issues on their phones. These problems, which impact the battery performance of updated devices, vary in severity depending on the model of phone.
Oppo has acknowledged that the current version of ColorOS has optimization issues that lead to increased battery usage. However, the company is actively working to address these concerns in future updates to the software.
One of the main issues with ColorOS 12 is the high consumption of system resources, which can be addressed by implementing different patches. If you are still experiencing battery drain issues on your Oppo device after ColorOS 12 update, you can try these tips to help conserve battery life on your Oppo phone running ColorOS 12.
Table of Contents
Update to Latest ColorOS 12 to Fix Battery Drain
Oppo is aware of the issues that have arisen with the latest versions of its software on some of its phones. To address these problems, the company has been releasing patches to improve battery performance and reduce overheating. It is likely that a solution has already been provided, but in case you haven’t received it yet, it may be helpful for you.
To ensure that you receive future software updates as soon as they become available, you can enable the “Receive updates earlier” option on your Oppo phone.
To do this, go to Mobile Settings > tap on the About Phone section > click on ColorOS > click on the top three dots > choose the Update Settings option > scroll down and activate the button “Receive updates earlier“
Install the latest ROM
If you are tired of waiting, you may find the next update for your smartphone on this official Oppo page. When you are in, just follow these steps:
- Choose the model of your Chinese phone. And look carefully if the version that is available is more recent than the one you have on your smartphone.
- Click on the button ‘Download Full Rom‘.
- Once the download is complete, you must go to Settings > About phone > ColorOS version.
- Then, tap on the three vertical dots at the top right and click on Select update package.
- Now you will just have to find the file with the new version you just downloaded on your Chinese phone. Finally, select it so that the mobile starts to charge it.
Improve Battery Life on Oppo Phones to the MAXIMUM
In GoStart.Biz, we have provided tips to improve the battery life of Oppo phones on multiple occasions, including in earlier versions of the ColorOS operating system such as ColorOS 11 and 12.
Today, we want to focus on providing general tips for conserving battery on Oppo phones running ColorOS. By following these suggestions, you can prevent the need for multiple charging cycles throughout the day.
Before you begin implementing any changes, it’s important to back up any important data on your phone, just in case. Once you’ve done that, you can explore the various tricks and settings within ColorOS that can help prolong the battery life of your Oppo device.
1. Don’t Use Mi Account
Many users have found that the battery drain issues on ColorOS 12 may be related to the use of the Mi account. If you are currently using your Mi account on your phone that has been updated to ColorOS 12, it’s recommended to stop using it as it runs constantly in the background and can consume significant system resources and power.
The latest versions of ColorOS 12 has resolve this bug. But even then, you can try this yourself and notice how consumption of battery is reduced, even with your account.
2. ColorOS Saving Mode
All smartphones, including those running ColorOS, have a battery saving mode that can help extend the battery life of the device. This feature is a standard part of the Android operating system. However, ColorOS offers an additional “Extreme battery saving” mode that can provide even more power savings.
To activate this mode, go to Settings > Battery and Performance > and click on “Extreme battery saving”.
It’s important to note that you must be running at least ColorOS 12, as this feature was only introduced in that version of the software.
3. The Magic configuration
Users have reported finding specific configurations that seem to greatly improve the battery life of Oppo phones running the Chinese ColorOS customization layer. These users have shared their findings on various forums.
The suggested configuration is as follows:
- Charge the battery to 100%.
- Go to Privacy Settings > Special Permissions > Battery Optimization > and select all items on the screen to be in ‘Optimize’ status
- Run system cleaner and cleanup all files
- Finally, restart the phone. Note that it is not suggested to perform a factory reset, just a simple restart via the reset button.
4. Improve Battery with Ambient Off
The ColorOS customization layer on some Oppo phones, particularly those with AMOLED displays, has an Ambient Display feature that shows the time and other information on the lock screen.
While the energy consumption of this feature may not be significant, disabling it could improve your phone’s battery life. To turn off Ambient Display, go to the Settings app, select Always On Display, and uncheck the Ambient Display option.
5. Conserve Battery with Animation Control
The ColorOS 12 update introduced improved and more visually attractive system animations, but they also consume more energy. Having these animations enabled can cause your battery to drain faster. To improve your battery life, it’s recommended to disable them.
To turn off system animations, open the phone settings app, go to Additional settings, select Accessibility options and locate the “Remove animations” option. This will help to conserve battery on a Oppo device.
6. Prevent Background App Drain
This tip can help you save battery on any version of ColorOS, on Oppo phones. Many apps that you use every day may not fully close when you exit them, but instead continue running in the background without your knowledge. To prevent this from happening, you can adjust the settings for background activity in the security app on your phone.
To access these settings, go to Battery and Performance in the security app > Saving applications. Then, select each app individually and check the “Restrict background activity” option for apps that you don’t want running in the background.
7. Track Battery Usage by App
Also within the section we have just seen of ColorOS Battery. It will be important that we see what consumes more energy in our smartphones. In this way, we can quickly discover if an app spends more than the account, even when we do not use it.
Although, with the previous trick, we will have already avoided that it continues to consume energy in the background. Anyway, for you to see it and decide if you want to continue to keep that app or delete it, you must go into Settings > Battery and performance > Usage statistics.
8. Beautiful Superwallpapers – Battery Impact
One of the new features introduced in ColorOS 12 are the dynamic Superwallpapers which are compatible with certain Oppo phones. These animated wallpapers consume more battery power than a static wallpaper, so if you want to conserve battery, you may want to consider using a regular wallpaper instead.
Changing your wallpaper on your Oppo phone is easy, you can do it by going to the system settings app > Wallpaper.
9. Maximize Battery with Dark Mode
The Dark Mode feature on Oppo phones is not exclusive to ColorOS, but the customization layer has improved its functionality. Using it can help you save several hours of battery life every day. You can also set a schedule for when you want the Dark Mode to activate, not just at night.
The Dark mode feature can be found in the mobile screen options, within the settings app, under the Brightness level. This tool is also responsible for adjusting the intensity, even when the automatic brightness feature is turned off.
10. Optimize Battery with Refresh Rate Control
Depending on your specific device, you may have the option to change the refresh rate depending on how you are using your phone. This setting can be useful to improve the battery life of your Oppo device.
To change the refresh rate, go to Settings > Display > Refresh Rate. From here, you can choose a lower refresh rate to save battery on your Oppo device.
11. Conserve Battery with Notification Effect Control
Beautiful or attractive, ColorOS notification effects will spend much more energy than we think. Basically, because this effect will turn on the phone panel every time we get an alert or message to the smartphone.
So we recommend that you do the test and disable this setting for a while: Settings > Lock Screen > “Disable Notification Effect“.
Tips to Save Battery in Oppo Phones
If you’re looking to increase the battery life of your Oppo phone running ColorOS, these tips can help you save power:
- Disable any mobile connections that you’re not using, such as Wi-Fi, mobile data, and Bluetooth.
- Use airplane mode to conserve battery when you don’t need to use any connectivity options.
- Turn off the GPS when you’re not using it to prevent unnecessary battery drain.
- Enable automatic brightness, and if your battery is low, manually adjust the brightness to the lowest setting.
- Put your phone in silent mode or enable the “Do Not Disturb” mode to prevent vibrations from draining your battery.
- If your phone has an “Always on Display” feature, turn it off when your battery is low.
- Lower the screen timeout setting to lock your phone as soon as possible.
- Turn off your phone when you don’t need to use it to save battery, such as when you’re working, studying, or traveling on public transport.