You may be flooded with projects at inopportune times, so learn to say “no” in an assertive way, but gently at the same time. Because there may not be a clear way to communicate, you will continue to receive such projects, and this will tire you and waste your time, as it will remove the barriers that you have set up for the people around you.
The expression of opinion differs from one person to another, some of them are not ashamed to say “no”, while others find it very difficult to refuse any matter directed to them, even if it causes them fatigue and exhaustion, and if you are having trouble saying no, this may help you article on it. We will highlight through the following lines how to be able to master saying no and reject any project that does not achieve your goals, and do not forget when rejecting any project does not mean that you are a bad or uncooperative person.
In the work environment of institutions or companies, each employee has daily tasks that he implements, and it is natural for you to receive additional tasks, and if you agree to implement them, this will lead to fatigue and loss of time and distance from your specific goal, and your refusal to implement them may be difficult in the beginning, so You can choose one of the following ways to help you say “no”:
At first, you may receive on your email several additional tasks that must be performed, but your daily task schedule is full of work and there is no possibility to implement them. You can refuse these tasks by replying to the email received in the following form:
- Thank you for these sent details, I attach to you a table that includes the tasks that I am working on today, and they are of high priority according to what was previously agreed upon. And if the task sent is of higher priority, please clarify, thank you for your understanding.
- The email sent by you has been received, and according to our agreement in our last meeting, it was agreed to carry out the following tasks… The purpose of the meeting was to finish all tasks on time without delay, but is this task sent in line with the terms of the last meeting/or related Relevant to it, it is important to know your opinion of the task sent and the priority of its implementation, awaiting your response.
- As for the email sent, it seems that this task is not within my competence because the skills required to perform it do not match the skills I have, I suggest assigning this task to the team…, it has the necessary skills to perform it, thank you.
Helpful tips for saying no:
- Be direct, “I can’t” or “I can’t do that now.”
- Do not apologize, and indicate all the reasons that made you reject the project.
- Don’t lie because it is likely to lead to feelings of guilt, and remember that this is what you are trying to avoid.
- It is better to say “no” now than to be tired and exhausted later.
- Keep yourself polite by saying no.
- Practice saying “no” by yourself or with a friend. This will make you feel more comfortable saying “no.”
- If you don’t want to do anything, don’t say I’ll think, because this will prolong the situation and make you tense.
- Remember that your self-esteem does not depend on how much you do for others.
The problem with making an excuse is that it gives people the opportunity to change their request so that your excuse does not justify your refusal, and in order to avoid embarrassment and not have to constantly say no, do not allow anyone to cross their limits with you, and a clear vision must be formed for a group of things that are completely unacceptable to you, and things Which can be accepted, and to tell all your friends and close to you these details, or choose the appropriate method and means for each situation that helps you to say no, it can be said directly or by sending a short message, or by e-mail, regardless of the excuse you provide, the people who intend On getting you to say yes they can come up with a way to undo it. By simply thanking people for their request and telling them you can’t agree to it, you stop them from arguing with you, and remember that when you refuse to do a certain job doesn’t mean you’re a bad person.
The point of this article is to offer compromises so that you don’t get misunderstood when you refuse to do a task or say no. You don’t have to justify and you don’t owe it to anyone, so don’t feel guilty for turning down a request that would add unnecessary stress to your life.