Backups are extremely important, especially if you’re the type of person who always seems to lose or break your phone. When you back up your data, you’re essentially uploading a copy of it to the cloud, which you can access when needed.
One of the things you should consider backing up is your WhatsApp data. WhatsApp being one of the most popular messaging apps in the world, it is normal that many people use it to communicate with others. Backing up this data will allow you, even in the worst case scenario, to access all your conversations at any time.
Are you ready to start backing up your data now? Here is our easy guide on how to backup WhatsApp to Google Drive!
Backup Whatsapp data to Google Drive
It is very easy to backup your data to Google Drive. However, keep in mind that this guide only works on the Android version of WhatsApp.
Without further ado, here is a step-by-step guide to backup your WhatsApp data.
- Open WhatsApp on your Android device.
- On the application home screen, select the kebab icon at the top right.
- A new drop-down menu is displayed. Tap on Settings.
- Then tap on Chats, where you can change the theme and wallpaper of your chat boxes and view your chat history.
- A new screen is displayed. Click on the penultimate option, called Chat Backup, at the bottom.
- Here you can choose your backup settings. You can tap each option to adjust the settings before backing up. For example, you can choose to include videos, schedule backups, select the Google account you want to use, and decide whether you want to back up over Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- It’s not always necessary to change the other two options unless you don’t have Wi-Fi and want to include videos, but be sure to select something for “Backup to Google Drive” and Google account. If you select nothing for these two options, clicking the save button will have no effect.
- If you are ready, just click Save.
Can you read Whatsapp backup from Google Drive on PC?
Now you might be wondering how to read WhatsApp backup from Google Drive on PC. Unfortunately, this is not possible.
Although you can create a WhatsApp backup file in your Google account, it will be end-to-end encrypted. Encryption makes data unreadable and therefore cannot be compromised.
You can only read WhatsApp backup data by restoring your conversations to your WhatsApp account.
If for some reason you really want to see your WhatsApp data in Google Drive, here’s how:
- Go to drive.google.com.
- Click on the gear icon on the right and click on Settings.
- Click on Manage apps
- Scroll down to WhatsApp Messenger.
If you click on Options, you can disconnect your WhatsApp from your Drive. And then again, you cannot access WhatsApp backup data on Google Drive on PC.
Does WhatsApp back up data to Google Drive?
WhatsApp actually backs up data to Google Drive. To do this, first tap the kebab icon. Next, tap on Settings. Go to Chats > Chat Backup. Tap Backup to Google Drive and select a frequency. Next, select a Google account. If you selected Only when I tap “Save,” tap Save.
Where can I find my WhatsApp backup in Google Drive?
You can find your WhatsApp backup settings in Google Drive in Managed Apps. Go to drive.google.com. Click the gear icon in the top right and click Settings > Manage apps. Scroll down to see WhatsApp Messenger. Note that you cannot actually read your WhatsApp backups on Google Drive.
How can I read WhatsApp backup in Google Drive without WhatsApp?
You cannot read a WhatsApp backup in Google Drive, as it will be end-to-end encrypted. Encryption is a security measure that makes data unreadable.
You can now backup WhatsApp to Google Drive at any time! You can even set automatic backups if you want to make sure your data will always have a safe copy in the cloud.
With this, you can rest assured that you can restore all the conversations you have on WhatsApp, even if you lose or break your device. What if you switch to a new device, even if it’s an iPhone? No problem – your Google Drive backup is there to rescue you for iPhone.
Did you like this article ? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!