TikTok, with its whopping 656 million downloads in 2021, has become a major player in the social media universe. With such a vast and active user base, it’s inevitable to come across profiles that you’d rather not interact with. That’s where TikTok’s “block” feature comes in handy. In this article, we’ll walk you through how to use this feature to block and unblock users on TikTok.
Understanding the “Block” Feature
The “block” function on TikTok, much like other social media platforms, erects a digital barrier between users. Post-block, both users become invisible to each other – they can’t find each other, view each other’s posts, tag each other in comments, or communicate through the app’s messaging feature. However, the blocker can still view the blocked user’s profile in their blocklist, and if necessary, unblock them. Let’s get into the specifics.
How to Block Someone on TikTok
If you find yourself wanting to avoid someone on TikTok, don’t worry – blocking them is simple and straightforward. Follow these steps:
- Find the User: Navigate to the profile of the user you wish to block. You can also use the app’s search function to find them.
- Access Profile Options: Click on the user’s username to open their “profile page”. Look for the three vertical dots in the top right corner of the screen.
- Block the User: Press the three dots. A pop-up window will appear. Locate and select the “Block” option, then click the “Confirm” button.
That’s all there is to it! TikTok doesn’t send any notifications to blocked users, so they won’t be aware unless they specifically search for your profile. If the blocked user has been chatting with you through DMs, the conversation will remain, but the user ID will appear as “user not found”.
Remember, blocking isn’t permanent. If you change your mind and want to unblock a user, TikTok makes it easy.
How to Unblock Someone on TikTok
Unblocking a user is just as straightforward as blocking them, but the steps are slightly different. Here’s how you can lift the block:
- Access Your Profile: Go to your “Profile” on the app and click on the three horizontal lines in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Navigate to Settings: Select the “Settings and privacy” option from the drop-down menu.
- Access Blocked Accounts: A new window will open. Select “Privacy”, then the “Blocked accounts” option.
- Unblock the User: A list of all blocked accounts will appear on the screen. Scroll down and click “Unblock” next to the profile you wish to unblock.
Once unblocked, both creators will be able to find each other on the app, text each other, and see each other’s content (given they have public accounts). For private accounts, the users will need to follow each other again.
The internet, being the vast expanse it is, can sometimes introduce us to people we’d rather avoid. The block and unblock feature on TikTok is a useful tool in such instances. So now, with this guide at your disposal, you can browse TikTok with peace of mind, knowing that you’re in control of who can interact with you.