Snapchat is a hoot, isn’t it? But it can also be a tad bit confusing, especially when you have multiple friends sharing the same name. The good news is that Snapchat allows you to change your friends’ names as they appear on your list. However, once you do that, the original names disappear from your view. Don’t fret; we’ve got a workaround for that. This guide will lead you through changing Snapchat names back to their original form. So let’s dive right in, shall we?
Snapchat Names: The 101
Before we jump into the how-tos, let’s get the basics clear. Snapchat names work the same way as your phone’s contact list. Once you change a name, the original one gets discarded. Sure, you can borrow your friend’s phone to see their default name, but once you tweak it on your side, the original one goes poof!
Method #1: Tweaking Your Snapchat Display Name or Username
Let’s start with the simplest step, modifying your Snapchat display name or username. Here’s how you do it:
- Launch Snapchat and tap your profile picture on the top left.
- Look for the “Settings” cogwheel icon and tap it.
- Go through the options and select “Display name” or “Username.”
- Change your name to your heart’s content and hit “Save.”
However, remember that you can only change your username once a year. So, choose wisely!
Method #2: Renaming Your Friend’s Snapchat Handle
- Swipe down to reveal the search bar and key in your friend’s name.
- Tap their name to open their profile page.
- Look for the three dots on the top right to open a list of options.
- Click on “Change Name.”
- Replace the current name with the one you prefer and press “YES.”
Method #3: Reverting Your Friend’s Snapchat Name to Default
This one requires a little bit of teamwork. Here’s the game plan:
- Tap on “Chats” and select your friend’s name.
- Send them a message requesting their original name.
- Once they oblige, use the above method to replace the current name with the original one.
Method #4: Employing a Second Snapchat Account
This workaround requires you to have a second Snapchat account.
- Tap your profile picture at the top left.
- Click on the “Settings” cogwheel icon.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select “Log Out.”
- Upon logging out, hit “Sign Up” to create a new account, or log in to your second account if you have one.
- After logging in, swipe down and use the search bar to find your friend’s name.
- Take note of the default name.
- Then log out and return to your primary account to change the name using the steps outlined above.
Will my friend discover that I changed their Snapchat name?
No. Changing names only affects your account. No matter how many times you alter a name, it won’t reflect on their end. Their original name stays intact on their account, and they won’t know you’ve tinkered with it on your end.
What’s the best way to remember my friend’s original name?
There are a few ways you could do this: sending yourself a Snap with their name, using a note-taking app, or simply taking a screenshot of their name.
Can I revert my username back to normal?
Unfortunately, once you’ve changed your username, your old one is locked and no longer available to use. This applies to both you and other Snapchat users.
How often can I change my friend’s name?
As of now, Snapchat doesn’t limit the number of times you can change your friend’s name. However, you can only alter your username once a year.
There you have it! Now you’re equipped with the know-how to change names on Snapchat and even revert them back to normal. Just bear in mind, when you change your username, it’s a once-a-year deal, and the old one is gone for good. So, when you decide to change a friend’s name, remember to keep a record of the original name. A quick screenshot before the change will do the trick. Happy snapping!