The latest version of the Google Chrome browser on Android offers a new system for managing tabs. From now on, the display of open tabs is done as a table and no longer vertically. If you’re not a fan of this little facelift, here’s a solution to put the tabs back the way they were before.
The new way tabs work in Chrome
Google’s famous browser has completely redesigned its tab management system. It is more practical and more intuitive. For example, you can now create groups to combine several tabs into one.
The display of tabs is also changing. Instead of the traditional vertical list, we find a grid view that allows you to display up to 6 tabs at the same time. Each of the open tabs are presented in the form of rectangular cards.
Problem, this new layout can not be disabled since version 91 of Chrome. If you hate this new layout, you would certainly like to be able to find the display with stacked tabs.
Disable the grid view of open tabs on Chrome
Whether we like it or not, habits are part of our daily lives. It is sometimes very difficult to get rid of them. For those who can’t get used to this new system, we reveal a trick to disable the grid view on Chrome for Android.
- Open the Google Chrome application on your Android smartphone
- Put your finger on the address bar
- Type chrome://flags/#enable-tab-grid-layout in the URL field and press enter to confirm your choice
- Be careful not to leave any spaces between each character
- Google will display a warning message “Enabling these features may cause you to lose browser data or compromise your security or privacy.
- Allow Google’s hidden browser options to be displayed
- This will take you directly to the section that manages the display of open tabs
- Click on the drop-down menu just below
- Select the “Open tabs” option from the drop-down menubelow
- Select the disabled option
- Press the Restart button at the bottom of the page to restart the Chrome browser
- Return to the Chrome home page
- Click on the button displaying the number of open tab groups
- You should see the stacking of open tabs like on older versions of Chrome
If you have any problems, do not hesitate to restart your smartphone. If you decide to go back to the grid system, simply repeat the steps presented above and select the default option in the drop-down menu.
What you need to know about the new tab group
This new feature of Chrome allows you to combine several tabs into one. This new arrangement is particularly interesting if you are the kind of person who never cleans up your tabs.
- Launch the Google Chrome browser
- Press the tabs management button to display the thumbnails of the pages opened on your browser
- Click on the menu button on the top right
- Select the option group tabs
- Check the windows you want to group
Note that this feature is available on smartphone as well as on computer.