Snapchat’s ability to track your every move might seem scary, and rightfully so. Today, numerous applications employ user location data to enhance the mobile experience and refine app features. As convenient as this may seem, it undeniably sparks privacy concerns among users. For those Snapchat users wishing to guard their privacy or add an element of fun by tricking friends into believing you’re vacationing in the Bahamas, this article will help you do just that. Let’s dive into the methods of changing your location on Snapchat for both Android and iOS users.
Understanding Snapchat’s Location Feature: Snapmap
Snapchat’s location feature, known as Snapmap, allows friends to see your location when you launch the app. Snapmap also keeps a record of your last known location for a while, even when the app isn’t running. In addition, Snapmap employs your location data to tailor filters and display content relevant to your area. However, some users may want to view content from different regions, creating a need to change their location.
Changing Your Snapmap Location on Android
There are practical solutions that allow you to utilize filters and badges and view content beyond your region. The most straightforward approach is to alter your Snapmap location. Here are two proven methods you can follow on your Android device.
Method #1: Using a Fake GPS Tracking App
A popular way to modify your Snapmap location involves third-party applications like fake GPS tracking apps. In this guide, we’ll show you how to use an app called “Fake GPS Location,” a favorite among Snapchat users due to its efficacy.
First, download and install the Fake GPS Location app from the Play Store, and then follow these steps:
- Switch your phone to developer mode. This can be done by opening the system’s “Settings” application.
- Scroll down to “About phone” and select “Software Information.”
- Find the “Build Number” section and quickly tap on it seven times.
- Enter your phone’s passcode and return to the “Settings” menu.
- Select “Developer Options” and tap on “Select Mock Location App.”
- Choose the “Fake GPS Location” app from the dropdown menu and exit.
- Open the “Fake GPS Location” app and tap anywhere on the map interface to set your new location.
- Press the “Play” button within the app to activate your new location.
Method #2: Use a VPN
VPNs, apart from protecting your device and accounts from hacks and intrusive ads, can also alter or conceal your location. However, not all VPNs are equipped for this function. Here, we’ll illustrate how to modify your location using a reputable VPN, Surf Shark, and suggest other high-quality VPN alternatives.
Changing your Snapmap Location with Surf Shark
To start, you need a Surf Shark subscription. Download the app from the Play Store and choose a plan. Follow these steps once the app is installed:
- Open the Surf Shark app and select “settings”.
- Navigate to “Override GPS location” and tap “Let’s go” in the pop-up menu.
- Follow the same steps as in Method #1 to set your phone to developer mode.
- Reopen the Surf Shark app to set your new location.
Surf Shark isn’t the only VPN capable of changing your GPS location, but it’s popular among Snapchat users. If you want alternatives, read on for other top VPN options.
Best VPNs for Snapchat Apart from Surf Shark
Nord VPN offers multiple impressive features that enhance device and account security while surfing the internet. It also effectively changes your Snapchat location due to its GPS-altering capabilities.
- High-end security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Connect up to six devices
- More expensive plans
- Not all servers support torrenting
With super-fast download and streaming speeds and over 2000 servers worldwide, IPVanish stands out among VPNs. Its extensive server coverage allows users to change their location to anywhere in the world.
- 24/7 Customer Support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unlimited connection on multiple servers
Changing your Snapmap Location on iOS
Altering your Snapmap location on iOS can be slightly more challenging due to Apple’s restrictions on GPS modifying apps. However, you can spoof your location using software like IAnyGo and iTools.
- Download and install IAnyGo on your computer.
- In the app, select “Change Location” found on the left side of the screen.
- Connect your phone to your computer and type in your desired location.
- Choose “Start to Modify,” and your location is now set.
- Download and install iTools on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Select “Toolbox” at the top of the app, then choose “Virtual Location.”
- Enter your desired address or coordinates, and you’re all set.
For Snapchat users troubled by location tracking, third-party apps and VPNs can be a great solution to protect your information and modify your location. While Surf Shark is an excellent choice for changing or hiding your location, other popular and reliable VPNs like Nord VPN and IPVanish offer similar capabilities. By utilizing these tools, you can secure your location and add an element of surprise to your Snapchat activities.