Snapchat’s lively and engaging nature has transformed how we communicate with our friends. But what happens when you accidentally send a message or snap to the wrong person? Fortunately, Snapchat allows you to delete sent messages before the recipient opens them. This handy guide will take you through the simple process of deleting a sent Snapchat message, so let’s dive right in!
Quick Method for Deleting a Sent Message
Open the chat of the person you’ve messaged, press on your message, and then tap on the “Delete” option. Your message will be removed from the chat. Remember, you need to delete your snaps before the recipient sees them, otherwise deleting them won’t have much effect.
Now, let’s explore this process in more detail.
How to Delete a Sent Snapchat Message?
In 2018, Snapchat rolled out an update allowing users to delete sent messages and snaps, an option that wasn’t available before. This feature enables you to erase sent content from both the sender’s and recipient’s side.
Step 1: Install Snapchat (If You Haven’t Already)
- Locate and open the Play Store app on your device.
- Search for “Snapchat” – look for a white ghost on a yellow background.
- Click on “Install” and wait for the application to download and install.
- Once installed, tap on “Open”.
- Snapchat will then prompt you to sign up or log in.
- If you already have an account, simply click on “Login” and enter your details.
- If you don’t have an account yet, select the “Register” option and follow the prompts to create an account.
Step 2: Delete a Sent Snap
- Open Snapchat and swipe left, or tap the chat box icon next to the camera button.
- Locate the snap you want to delete.
- Check if the recipient has opened it or not.
- Press and hold on the text or snap you sent for a moment.
- A pop-up should appear on the screen.
- Click on the “Delete” option – this will allow you to erase the message from both sides.
- If you’re using the delete option for the first time, a confirmation pop-up message will appear.
- Tap on “YES” to confirm the deletion.
Remember, this function may not work properly if you have a poor internet connection or if you’re using an older version of Snapchat. Therefore, ensure you have a good connection and that your Snapchat is up-to-date.
What Happens After Deleting a Message on Snapchat?
Once you confirm the deletion by tapping on “YES”, Snapchat will display a prompt to inform the other user that a message has been removed. For instance, Snapchat will display text saying “[Your name] deleted a chat”. This serves as confirmation that the snap has been successfully deleted by both parties.
However, if the chat shows a message indicating that the recipient took a screenshot, there’s no point in deleting your message because it means the recipient has already opened and saved it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I Sent a Snap to the Wrong Person?
If you accidentally sent a snap to the wrong person, you can delete it before they open it. Simply press and hold the message, then tap the “Delete” option. This action will remove the snap from the recipient’s view.
Can I Cancel the Sending of a Snap?
Although you can’t unsend a snap, you can delete it permanently. Snapchat offers a feature that allows you to delete texts and snaps that you’ve unintentionally sent to someone.
Snapchat’s daily snaps and streaks are fun ways to socialize with friends. However, there are times when you might send a snap to the wrong person, and that’s when Snapchat’s message deletion feature becomes invaluable. Remember, this feature only works if the recipient hasn’t opened the snap yet. Happy Snapchatting!