Recovering points on a driving license involves increasing the points balance. This can be done by avoiding any infractions for a specific period, participating in a points recovery course, or simply obtaining a new driving license. The goal of point recovery is to prevent the driving license from being canceled due to a lack of points.
📅 What is the timeframe for point recovery on a driving license?
When points are deducted from a driving license due to a traffic violation, they can be recovered as long as the balance is not zero. To regain lost points, a certain period of time without committing a new offense must be observed:
- 6 months to recover a one-point deduction on the driving license.
- 2 years for a class 1, 2, or 3 offense. The points balance then returns to 12.
- 3 years for a class 4, 5 offense or a felony. The points balance also returns to 12 after this period.
- 10 years to recover points related to a class 1 to 4 offense, even if other offenses are committed in the meantime.
🔎 How does a points recovery course work?
Recovering points on a driving license can also be achieved by participating in a road safety awareness course. As the name suggests, this 2-day (14 hours in total) course aims to raise awareness among “poor drivers” about the dangers of the road and the best practices to adopt.
Enrollment in this course can be voluntary or mandatory following a judicial decision. The points recovery course allows for a maximum of 4 points to be regained on the driving license. However, it is not a free training as it typically costs around 250€.
To find a points recovery course, it is advisable to contact the prefecture of your department. Such courses are usually conducted by two professionals: a road safety expert and a psychologist.
🚘 How to check the points balance on your driving license?
Checking the points balance allows you to determine whether you need to enroll in a points recovery course or if your driving license is at risk of being revoked. There are two ways to do this:
- Use the Télépoints online service: Provided by the government, it can be accessed using your NEPH number (Harmonized Prefectural Registration Number) and the reference number from the full driving license record.
- By mail: You can request a full driving license record from the prefecture of your department. This document includes all the information related to your driving license, including the remaining points balance.
Recovering points on a driving license prevents the points balance from reaching zero, which would result in the cancellation of the driving license. Therefore, to regain points on your license, you can either wait for several years (without committing any new offenses) or participate in a points recovery course.