You may have made the mistake of linking your Facebook to Twitter when you signed up for the Bird app. Unfortunately, this marriage between the two social networks can be quite irritating, especially when your Facebook feed is cluttered with Twitter updates. So it’s understandable that you want to divorce the two sites and return them to their single status. But how to achieve it?
Short answer: You can unlink Facebook and Twitter from either site. If you want to do it from Facebook, remove Twitter from the “Apps and website” section in the “Permission” section. From Twitter, disconnect the application from the “Security and account access” section in the “Settings and privacy” section.
Although Twitter and Facebook are both social interaction sites, their content is very different. So when tweets start filling your Facebook wall, they might not make much sense. The good news is that it’s easy to separate the two services, so your posts stay on the site they’re intended for.
We show you below how to unlink Facebook and Twitter. We also provide a method to remove existing Twitter posts from your Facebook wall if you want to get a fresh start.
Disconnection of Facebook and Twitter accounts – Via Facebook
Let’s start by disconnecting your accounts from Facebook.
Method #1: Facebook on desktop
- Open your favorite web browser and go to Facebook.com.
- Log in with your username and password.
- Click on the down arrow in the upper right corner and select “Settings and privacy”.
- Click on “Settings”.
- Click on “Apps and Websites” in the left sidebar.
- Find “Twitter” in the list and click on delete at the end of the line.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking you to confirm that you want to unlink your accounts. Click “Delete” to confirm your choice.
Method #2: Facebook App
If you’re using the Facebook app on your iPhone or Android device, the process is a bit different.
- Open the Facebook application and log in.
- Tap on the three lines in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down the screen and tap on “Settings and privacy”.
- Tap on “Settings”.
- Now go to the “Permission” section and select “Apps and Websites”. This will open a new window with all linked apps.
- Find and select “Twitter” from the list.
- Click on “Delete” and confirm your choice in the window that opens.
Tip: If you want to remove all previous Twitter posts from your Facebook wall, check the box “Remove Twitter posts, videos or events from your timeline” while confirming your choice in the last pop-up .
Disconnect your Facebook and Twitter accounts – Via Twitter
You can also cut the cord in the Twitter settings. Here’s how:
Method #1: Twitter on desktop
- Go to Twitter.com and log in to your account.
- Click on your profile picture in the upper right corner and select “Settings and privacy” from the drop-down menu.
- Click on “Security and account access” in the middle column.
- Then select “Connected Accounts” from the options on the right side. You will see a list of all accounts currently linked to your Twitter.
- Find “Facebook” in the list and click on the “Disconnect” button.
- A pop-up window appears, asking you to confirm the disconnection of your accounts. Click on “Disconnect”.
Method #2: Twitter app
Twitter has a similar process for unlinking accounts in its app. Follow the steps below:
- Open the Twitter application and log in.
- Tap on your profile picture in the upper left corner and select “Settings and privacy”.
- Then go to the “Security” section and select “Connected accounts”.
- Find “Facebook” in the list and tap on the “Disconnect” button.
- Press “Disconnect” again in the window that opens.
Can I still share tweets on my Facebook timeline if I unlink my accounts?
You will need to link your accounts again to share tweets on your Facebook timeline.
Will dissociating my accounts delete data?
Unlinking your accounts will not delete any data, but it will prevent any future data from being shared between the two platforms. If you want to remove all previous Twitter posts from your Facebook wall, you must do so separately.
What happens if I only want to unlink one account?
Unfortunately, once you unlink the apps on either side, the connection is broken both ways.
Can I unlink other accounts by following these methods?
Yes, these methods make it possible to dissociate all the accounts connected to Facebook or Twitter. This includes, but is not limited to, Spotify, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.
Does the method I use to unlink my accounts matter?
No, all methods allow you to dissociate your Facebook and Twitter accounts. It doesn’t matter whether you use the Facebook app or website or the Twitter app or website. The steps are all the same.
I followed all the steps, but my accounts are still linked. What should I do ?
After following all the steps, if your accounts are still linked, try logging out of your Facebook account, logging in again and repeating the steps.
What if I want to link my accounts?
If you want to link your accounts, go to your Facebook profile, edit your profile; in the Links section, add social links and enter your Twitter username. Follow the instructions and your accounts will be linked again.
Whether you are using apps on your iPhone or Android device or are logged into the website, you can unlink your Facebook and Twitter accounts in just a few minutes. And if you want to start fresh, you can also delete all previous Twitter posts from your Facebook wall. These simple steps will help you separate your social media accounts and give you more control over what appears on each.