In the world of social media, Facebook reigns supreme, boasting around 2.89 billion monthly active users. A handy feature Facebook offers is tagging, allowing users to easily share posts and photos without the need for manual sharing. But what happens when you tag someone by accident? No worries, you’re in the right place to learn how to untag someone on Facebook.
Quick Untagging Answer
Sometimes we mistakenly tag someone in a post. Removing this tag isn’t possible directly from the timeline page—you need to enter edit mode. Once there, you can untag the person by clicking on the “x” next to their name.
Now, let’s dive into the detailed methods for untagging someone on Facebook.
Method #1: Untagging on Facebook using the Mobile App
As mobile phone usage continues to rise, more people are accessing social media platforms on the go. With the number of mobile phone users projected to reach 7.49 billion in 2025, it’s evident that platforms like Facebook need to be mobile-friendly. Follow these steps to untag someone on Facebook using the mobile app:
- Open Facebook and log in.
- Tap on the search option.
- Type a word present in the mis-tagged post into the search box.
- Select the post from the options displayed.
- Tap on the three dots in the upper right corner.
- Select the “Edit post” option.
- Below the post, find the option to tag people and tap on it.
- All tagged people will appear at the top of the post. To untag someone, uncheck the blue box next to their name.
Additional Tip: You can also untag all currently tagged people by tapping “X” next to the list of tagged people.
Method #2: Untagging Posts on Facebook using a PC
If you’re a PC user, you’ll find these steps helpful in untagging someone from a Facebook post:
- Open your web browser, navigate to Facebook and log in.
- You’ll find the search bar in the upper left corner.
- Search for the desired post.
- From the search results, click “Posts” in the left menu to search for posts only.
- To edit the post, click on the three dots.
- Click on the “Tag friends” option.
- All names will appear at the bottom of the post. Simply click on “x” to untag the undesired person.
Now, you know how to untag someone mistakenly tagged in your posts. But what about photos?
Method #3: Untagging Someone from a Photo
Photos carry precious memories, and depending on privacy settings, tagged photos may appear on other users’ profiles or timelines. If you mistakenly tagged a photo, here’s how to untag:
- Go to Facebook and log in to your account.
- Access your profile.
- Click on “Photos”.
- Go to the “Your photos” tab.
- Click on the desired photo.
- At the top, find the tag icon and click on it.
- Click on “x” next to the person mistakenly tagged to remove the tag.
Preventing Yourself from Being Tagged
If you find yourself annoyed by being tagged by others, it’s essential to know how to prevent it. Adjust your privacy settings with these steps:
- Navigate to Facebook and log in.
- Click the down arrow button in the upper right corner.
- Select “Settings and privacy”.
- Select “Settings”.
- Choose “Profile and tagging” in the left navigation.
- Under ‘Review’, enable both options (‘Review posts you’ve been tagged in before they appear on your profile’ and ‘Review tags people add to your posts before they appear on Facebook’).
- Under “Profile”, change the option “Who can post on your profile?” to “Only me”.
Conclusion: Untagging Made Easy
Facebook’s myriad features can sometimes make it challenging to keep up, but this guide simplifies the process of untagging someone. Whether you’re using a mobile device or a PC, or you’re trying to untag a post or a photo, these steps will get the job done, even if you’re not tech-savvy. Whatever your reasons for needing to untag someone, these methods are sure to work for you. Happy Facebooking!