It’s a common misconception that leaving your laptop plugged in when it’s fully charged can harm the battery. But is this really true? In reality, smartphones are equipped with lithium-ion batteries which have the advantage of recharging quickly, but can be damaged by high voltage.

Overcharging can also lead to overheating and even ignition, as seen in the case of the Galaxy Note 7. To prevent this, most manufacturers have implemented systems that automatically cut off charging when the battery is full. However, even when not in use, smartphones experience a low discharge and will repeatedly charge and discharge throughout the night, causing the battery to wear out prematurely and the phone to overheat. To avoid this, it’s best to unplug your phone once it reaches a full charge.

Even chargers consume energy: Unplug when not in use

It’s not just your phone that’s consuming energy when it’s charging. Even when the battery is full and the charger is left plugged in, it continues to draw power.

According to Berkeley Lab, a charger can consume an average of 3.68 watts while charging and 2.24 watts when it’s just plugged in, even if the device is not connected. This is a waste of energy and can also shorten the lifespan of your battery.

To extend the battery life of your device, it’s recommended to keep the charge between 30-80% and not to let it run completely flat or charge it to the maximum.