Instagram is an essential app for connecting with others. It plays a big role in how we interact with our friends and family, and many of us use it to stay updated on what’s happening in each other’s lives. However, when something goes wrong with our Instagram account, it can be distressing and stressful, especially if it’s been hacked.
Unfortunately, hackings are more common than we may think. Hackers are always on the lookout for vulnerable social media accounts, as they can use them to access personal information and steal followers. To protect your account from being hacked and to know what to do if it happens, it’s important to take some precautions and understand the signs of a hacked account.
If the account is truly hacked, you should report the account immediately by going to the ‘Help’ section on the app and searching for the ‘Report a hacked account’ option. You can also report the account through the Instagram website.
Being vigilant and having a plan in place can help you to quickly and easily recover your Instagram account in case it gets hacked or lost.
Distinguishing Hacked vs Lost Instagram Accounts
It can be difficult to determine whether an issue with accessing your Instagram account is caused by a hack or simply a problem with access. However, there are some key differences between the two scenarios that can help you to quickly figure out what’s happening.
If your account has been hacked, you will not be able to access it at all. The hacker may have changed your password, making it impossible for you to log in. On the other hand, if the problem is simply an issue with access, you may be able to log in with your usual password but still not be able to access your account due to an issue on Instagram’s end.
Signs that your account may have been hacked include:
- Unfamiliar posts or stories appearing on your account
- Messages sent to your followers that contain phishing links or ask for personal information
- An email warning that someone has accessed your account
If the problem is simply an access issue, you may notice:
- Mistyping your password
- An account suspension or block
- Instagram being down or under maintenance
- An outdated version of Instagram app.
If you suspect that your account has been hacked, it’s important to take immediate action to report the hack and try to regain control of your account. If the problem is simply an access issue, the solution may be as simple as resetting your password or updating the app. In any case it is important to act quickly, in order to recover your account as soon as possible.
Recovering Lost or Hacked Instagram Accounts: Step by Step
Recovering your hacked or lost Instagram account can be a stressful and time-consuming process, but by following the steps outlined below, you can minimize the hassle and get your account back as quickly as possible.
- Click on the “Forgot Password” link on the Instagram login page.
- Enter the email or username associated with your account.
- Check your email for a password reset link and click on it.
- Create a new password for your account.
- Wait for approval, once approved, you’ll be able to login with the new password.
If the approval process takes some time, you can try using the mobile app to log in, that way you can be sure that it was approved. Keep in mind that if Instagram notices any irregularities, it may take some extra time for them to approve your request.
It is important to remember to use a strong and unique password for your account and to enable two-factor authentication for an extra layer of security.
You have to know if your account has been hacked or if you’ve lost access, and to take the appropriate action depending on the situation.
Recover Instagram account without email
If your Instagram account has been hacked, one of the biggest challenges you may face is that the hacker has also changed the email associated with the account. This makes it harder to recover the account, but there are still steps you can take to regain control.
It’s important to note that this situation could have been avoided if you had acted quickly when you received an email warning that someone had accessed your account. This would have blocked their access and limited your options for recovery.
If you find yourself in this situation, the best course of action is to follow these steps:
- Click on “Get help” or “Forgot password” before logging in.
- Enter the email, username, or phone number associated with the lost account and click “Next.”
- Select the email address you want to use to request access to the account.
- Check the email for a link to access your account again.
In some cases, Instagram may require additional information to confirm that you are the account owner. This could include photos or videos of your face, or proof that you have already been active on the account. If this is the case, you will need to provide the requested information in order to regain access to the account.
Secure Your Instagram: Tips to Avoid Losing Access
Losing access to your Instagram account can be frustrating, but there are steps you can take to avoid this situation. The key to keeping your account secure is to be proactive about the security settings in your Instagram account.
Here are some tips to help you secure your Instagram account:
- Keep the app updated to ensure that any security holes are patched.
- Be wary of strange emails or messages claiming to be from Instagram, as they could be phishing attempts.
- Change your password regularly, and make sure it is strong and not easily guessable.
- Avoid connecting to public networks when using Instagram, as this can put your data at risk.
Strengthen your account
Another important step in securing your account is to enable two-factor authentication. This adds an extra layer of security by requiring a code sent to your phone in addition to your password when logging in. To enable two-factor authentication, follow these steps:
- Open your profile and go to the app settings.
- Click on Security.
- Choose “Two-factor authentication.”
- Tap on Start and follow the prompts to confirm your phone number and set up the authentication.
Make sure your email account is also secured by having a unique and strong password and if possible, enable 2FA for your email account as well.
By keeping your account secure and being vigilant about suspicious activity, you can minimize the risk of losing access to your Instagram account.