If you own a TCL TV, you might have encountered one of the following problems. This article provides tips to help you resolve your TV issues. Check out this article if you’re interested in learning more about the value of TCL TVs.
1. Black Screen Problem on TCL TV
If your TV refuses to turn on and displays a black screen, here are some tips that could be useful.
First, try turning on your TV using the POWER button on the television itself, as it might just be a remote control issue.
If your TV still won’t turn on, I recommend performing a factory reset of your TCL TV using the following procedure.
If your TV has a RESET button:
- Press and hold the RESET button on the side panel of the TV for 12 seconds.
- Once the reset cycle is complete, the status indicator will light up.
- Release the RESET button. Your TV is now off.
- Turn it back on and proceed with the guided setup.
If your TV doesn’t have a RESET button, try the following procedure during the rare times when your screen is on:
- Press the Settings button on your remote and go to the Assistance Menu > Store Reset.
- If your TV uses ANDROID TV, you’ll find this option in the Settings Menu > System > About > Reset > Factory Settings Reset > Delete Everything.
- Use the numeric buttons on the remote to enter your password (if you haven’t changed it, it’s 1234).
- Then select OK to confirm and start the reset.
If the black screen hasn’t disappeared, go to the update menu and follow the procedure that matches your TV.
If your TV is not connected to the Internet, the update will need to be done with a USB stick for TV:
- Download the update that corresponds to your model available on the TCL website.
- Decompress the file and put it on a USB stick that you can connect to your TV.
- Press MENU or OPTION on the remote, select Settings > System > Software Update, and press OK.
- Choose the following option: USB and validate. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process.
If your TV is connected to the Internet:
- You can perform an update in the Settings Menu > Device Preferences > About > System Software Update > Software Update.
- The system will search for the latest updates and proceed with the installation.
If your problem is still not resolved, know that it could be a power supply issue or a problem with the motherboard. I suggest you contact an authorized repairer.
2. TCL TV Remote Not Working
If your TCL TV no longer receives any signal from your remote, you need to check the batteries and pair your TV with your remote.
First, check that the batteries aren’t the issue by testing new ones.
Then, your remote might no longer be paired with your TV.
Follow one of the following procedures, depending on your remote model, to fix this:
For a TCL Android TV remote:
- Press and hold the HOME and OK buttons on your remote at the same time.
For a standard infrared remote (TCL Roku TV):
- They should be pointed directly at your TV. Make sure there is no object between your remote and the infrared receiver usually located at the bottom of the TV just under the TCL logo.
- You can also test the infrared transmitter of the remote by pointing your remote at your smartphone camera, you should then see a purple flash in the image projected on your smartphone.
For an enhanced remote (TCL Roku TV):
- Try to pair your remote by opening the battery compartment and pressing the pairing button.
- Hold it for 3 seconds until the pairing indicator flashes.
- If the indicator doesn’t flash, try again.
If the problem persists, you might have to replace your remote or contact TCL support for further help.
3. Wi-Fi Connection Problem on TCL Smart TV
Are you facing Wi-Fi connection problems on your TCL TV? No worries, follow these steps:
- Unplug your TV, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in.
- Open your TCL TV’s web browser and see if you can load a webpage.
If you’re using a wired connection:
- Connect your Ethernet cable from the router to the Ethernet port at the back of the TV.
- Use the Network & Internet menu to configure your TV. Select Automatic Detection (recommended), then press the HOME button.
- Go to the Settings Menu at the top right of the screen and press OK.
- Select the Network and Internet menu and enable the Wired Network button. The Smart TV will automatically retrieve the Internet connection.
If you wish to use a Wi-Fi connection:
- Settings Menu > Network and Internet and enable the Wi-Fi button.
- Choose your Wi-Fi network and enter your password.
If these steps don’t resolve your problem, try resetting your TV following the detailed procedure described earlier in this article. If you’re still offline, contact a TCL TV repair professional.
4. TCL TV Backlight Issue
If your TCL TV’s sound and picture work, but the screen remains dark, it’s probably a backlight issue. To check this, update your TV following the procedure described earlier. If it still doesn’t work, the problem could be the LED strip. You should then contact a certified repairer.
5. Frozen Image or Abstract Lines on TCL Screen
If you have a problem with static lines appearing on your TCL TV screen, but the sound is working fine, there may be several potential causes and solutions. Here are some things to try:
- Ensure all cables and connectors are properly connected and in good condition. Sometimes, a poor contact or oxidation can cause image interference or disturbances.
- Check if the problem isn’t due to a software defect on your TV. Your TV might need a firmware update to fix bugs or improve its performance. Consult the manufacturer’s website or customer service to learn how to proceed.
If none of these solutions work, the issue could be a defect in the TV’s panel or internal hardware. In this case, contact customer service or the retailer to make a warranty claim or request a repair. The motherboard or panel might be damaged and need replacement.
6. TCL TV Won’t Turn On
If your TV no longer turns on (no sound or images):
- Check your TV’s connection.
- Reset your TV as described above.
If these steps don’t work, it might be a power board issue. You should then seek assistance from a repairer.
7. No Sound on TCL TV
If your TCL TV’s picture works perfectly but you hear no sound, these checks may help:
- Ensure the TV isn’t on “Mute” or the volume isn’t set too low.
- Check connections related to your TV, such as Scart cable, HDMI, amps.
- Finally, check if you’ve connected a Bluetooth headphone to your TV. This could explain your problem.
8. No HDMI Signal on TCL TV
If you’re experiencing an HDMI signal issue on your TV, try the following:
- Make sure the HDMI cable is properly connected.
- Change your HDMI cable, as it might be damaged.
- Check if any of your HDMI ports are available and connect your source to it to see if the issue is with the HDMI port on the TV.
- Turn off your TCL TV, wait 10 seconds, and turn it back on.
9. YouTube Problems on TCL Smart TV
If you can’t access YouTube on your TCL Smart TV, try these steps:
- Update your TV’s operating system as described above.
- Reinstall the YouTube app by following this procedure:
To uninstall the YouTube app:
- Press the HOME button on your remote, select the APPLICATIONS icon on the left of your screen, and press OK.
- Locate the YouTube app and long-press the OK button on the selected app. A list of choices will appear.
- Select UNINSTALL and confirm your choice.
To download and reinstall the YouTube app:
- Select the APPLICATIONS icon on the left of your screen and press OK.
- Select DOWNLOAD MORE APPS.
- Use the navigation buttons on the remote to go to the top of the page and click on the MAGNIFYING GLASS icon, the search engine will appear.
- Enter YouTube and click OK.
- Click INSTALL and restart the app once the installation is complete.
As a last resort, try resetting your TV to factory settings as described above.
Pros and Cons of TCL TVs
TCL (The Creative Life), a Chinese brand known for its budget models, sells its TVs at very competitive prices, but reliability isn’t always guaranteed.
On Amazon, the average rating for TCL TVs (all models combined) is 3.8 out of 5 from a total of 2135 reviews.
That said, most TCL TVs come with the ANDROID TV system, allowing users to enjoy a wide range of apps.