Threads, that popular hub for photo sharing, hands you the reins to tag your posts with geographical data. While undeniably handy, this feature feeds the corporate beast an all-you-can-eat buffet of information about you and your habits. Moreover, always giving away the locations you frequent can become risky, especially if you keep your account public. So, it’s essential to learn how to change location on Threads.
Understanding Threads is not only about mastering filters and hashtags. Security matters are absolutely paramount. Knowing how to manage and safeguard your privacy on Threads is indeed an issue we can’t take lightly. This is why we’re about to navigate through some key steps that’ll help you maintain your privacy and share only what you’re comfortable with. So, in this new guide, let’s learn how to master location data on Threads.
Switching Location On and Off on Threads
Contrary to most guides, we won’t jump straight into the Threads app. The actual control center for this operation is the settings menu on your smartphone or tablet. So, let’s set sail in search of your device’s “Settings” button, usually symbolized by a gear icon.
Navigating the Settings
Once you’ve spotted and tapped the aforementioned button and landed in the settings menu, look for the section related to security. For the smartphone we’re using in this guide, the section is named “Password and Security”.
Continue scrolling until you spot the line that reads “Location” and give it a tap.
At the top of this window, you’ll see a button labeled “Access my location”. If the button is blue, it means your device is location-tagged. If it’s grey, location services are inactive. Tap this button to toggle the location on or off.
Note: If you can’t find the settings, type “Geolocation” or “Location” in the small search bar at the top of the settings. This should help you easily reach the desired menu.
Enabling Location on Threads via the App
However, it’s also possible to turn on location tagging (but not off) when you want to add a location to a photo from within the app. Here’s how:
- Open Threads and tap your profile picture at the bottom right of the screen.
- Among your posts, select the photo you wish to tag with a location.
- Now, tap the three vertical dots located at the top right of the selected photo.
- In the pop-up window, select “Edit”.
- Next, tap on “Add a location” that appears at the top left of the photo, under your username.
- Press the “Enable location services” button that is presented on this new page.
- Confirm your action by simply pressing OK in the pop-up window.
Voila! Your location tagging is now enabled, and you can pinpoint exactly where the photo was taken. Of course, you can also do this in real-time when you upload a photo.
How Can You Update Your Business Location on Threads?
Whether you’ve recently moved your business or just need a change of digital scenery, adjusting your location on Threads can be important for maintaining accuracy and relevance. While changing your profile location is straightforward, altering the location where your customers tag your business might need some additional steps. Let’s go through this process in simple steps, easily understood by a sixth grader.
Updating Your Profile Location
- Tap ‘Edit Profile’ on your Threads account.
- Proceed to ‘Business Information’ and tap ‘Contact Options’.
- Key in your new location.
As simple as one, two, three! However, to update the location where your followers tag your business, there are a few more steps to follow. You’ll want to make sure your locations on Threads and Facebook are updated since these platforms are linked, and location tags can be grabbed from both.
Updating Your Tagged Location
If you find that the above process didn’t work and your followers can’t tag your new location, you’ll have to add a new location tag on Facebook, which will subsequently sync to Threads.
- Open your Facebook app and tap ‘Check-in’.
- In ‘Search for places’, type in your business name (since your business should appear if your address was already listed once).
- Tap ‘Add [business name] in [city, state].
- Choose a category for your business.
- Select a sub-category.
- Enter the city where your business is located.
- Input your street address and zip code.
- Optionally, you can add a picture, but this is highly recommended to increase visibility.
- Finally, tap ‘Create’.
However, please keep in mind, if you use this method, Facebook will regard it as a new location, causing you to lose all social proof that you had before. Resort to this only if updating your profiles doesn’t work.
Just like in school, it’s always important to double-check your work! Make sure your location on both Threads and Facebook is accurate to avoid any confusion. It can take a little bit of effort, but keeping your digital presence up-to-date is just as essential as updating your physical storefront.
Experiencing the trouble of updating a relocated Threads location that retains its original name?
I’ve been down that road, banging my head against the wall trying to find a solution. Despite repeatedly raising this issue with Threads, I had no luck. But, don’t fret; I eventually figured out a workaround and I’m more than happy to share it with you!
Interestingly, I only managed to fix this issue on my iPhone, not on Android. So, I would recommend giving this a try on an iPhone for quicker results.
The key to updating your location on Threads lies in making adjustments in Facebook first.
Here’s your step-by-step guide:
- Fire up your Facebook and navigate to your business page.
- Head over to the “Edit Page” section where you’ve provided your business details like location, phone number, Threads profile link, etc.
- Spot the map? (You’ll notice ‘get directions’ text on it) Give it a click!
- Here’s where you can update your address if necessary. But if you’re only changing the location while keeping the address unchanged, simply touch the map and drag the pin to your desired location.
And there you have it – an instant location update! Now, when you go back to Threads and check the same location, it should be updated to reflect your new location.
I hope this helps someone out there struggling with the same issue. Good luck, and you’re welcome! 🙂
Securing Your Data
For added security, we advise not keeping location tagging active when you’re not using this feature. This will protect your privacy and personal data, not only on Threads but also on other platforms or applications. Your location is a precious piece of information, so be sure to keep a tight leash on who gets to see it!