The new Dynamic Island notch on the iPhone 14 Pro has taken fans of the brand by surprise. It activates and displays information based on events and apps being used. But did you know you can add a name, text, or even an emoji to this notch?
The Revolution: Dynamic Island
As with every year, Apple introduces a new generation of iPhones, often accompanied by a host of innovations. The most striking one this time is undoubtedly the appearance of the Dynamic Island.
Since the launch of the iPhone X in 2017, Apple’s smartphones have sported a very visible black notch (or “notch” for the tech-savvy) at the top of the screen. Although this element is now an integral part of Cupertino’s design, it’s undeniable that the unsightly appendage significantly reduces the usable screen area.
At a time when Android smartphones feature punch holes, simple bubbles, or better yet, cameras placed under the screen, Apple had to respond. The result is the emergence of the Dynamic Island.
Instead of eliminating this less-than-aesthetic element, Apple has managed to transform the notch into a handy little display. Ironically, Android smartphone manufacturers are now trying to replicate this feature on their devices. For those interested, you’ll find an app below to add the Dynamic Island function to an Android phone.
Display a Name or Emoji in the iPhone’s Dynamic Island Notch
The Dynamic Island function has won over most iPhone 14 Pro users. So much so that the American company has seemingly decided to add this feature to the entire upcoming iPhone 15 lineup.
In the meantime, app developers are competing to create new features that support Dynamic Island. For example, you can now display live scores of a game (soccer, baseball, NBA basketball, etc.) in the iPhone’s notch without opening an app.
But that’s not all. With the Activity Builder app, you can choose the type of information (weather, battery level, etc.) you want to appear on your lock screen and your Dynamic Island. In this example, we will customize the notch with text.
- Start by downloading the Activity Builder app from the App Store by clicking on the provided link.
- Open the tool to customize your iPhone’s lock screen and notch.
- Click on the “Builder” section from the app’s home screen.
- Select the “Text” option.
- Tap on the “Dynamic Island Left” button.
- Enter the text you want to appear on the left side of the notch. It can be your name, your lover’s name, or anything else.
- Click the “Save” button to finalize the configuration.
- If you wish, you can add text to the right side of the notch by clicking on “Dynamic Island Right” and repeating the instructions described above.
- Once the information is entered, you will see a summary of your customization program.
- Tap the “Start Activity” button at the bottom of the window.
- Exit the app and return to your iPhone’s home screen.
You should now see your name or the text you entered in your iPhone’s notch. Importantly, Activity Builder also offers the option to display images or icons in the Dynamic Island.