Telegram is a popular messaging app, known for its privacy features and user-friendly interface. Many people choose Telegram over other messaging apps like WhatsApp for its enhanced security and superior functionality.
However, like all apps, Telegram might occasionally encounter issues, such as not displaying contacts or syncing with your phone book. In this guide, we’ll explore what to do if Telegram doesn’t show contacts on Android and how to ensure your address book syncs successfully.
How to fix Telegram not showing contacts on Android
Telegram is an excellent application, used by millions of people every day around the world and from time to time it is enriched with a new feature that makes it even more “appetizing” for users.
For many people, Telegram is unmatched in terms of functionality and privacy, but like all other applications, sooner or later it can give problems and as we will see in this guide, it can happen that Telegram does not display contacts because there is no synchronization, so what can you do in this case?
We have collected several solutions that will give you a way to be able to have your address book with contacts on Telegram. Here are the most common solutions you can use.
You only see contacts in the list who use Telegram
It may happen that you only see on Telegram some of the contacts in your phone’s address book, and this is completely normal. Telegram in fact allows you to display in its contact list only those who use the application, so those who do not use Telegram will not appear in the address book of the messaging application. If you want a certain contact to appear in your contact list on Telegram, it is necessary that he uses the application on his device, otherwise he will not appear in the list.
The solution in this case is to ask your friend who does not use Telegram to download the application and register, then after synchronization with the phone’s address book, making sure that he also uses the platform, it will appear in your contact list on Telegram. Only by doing this you will be able to see it appear in the Telegram address book.
Check that you have given the correct permissions to Telegram.
When you install Telegram for the first time, the application asks you for permission to access your contacts’ address book. Only by giving this permission will you be able to sync the contacts in your phonebook who use Telegram with the address book in the Telegram app. If after installing Telegram you didn’t want to give the app permission to access your phonebook, then you won’t see any contacts in your phonebook, but you can fix it in the following way: ( *) Close Telegram
- Go to Android settings
- Click Apps, then All Apps.
- Once the list of all installed applications is displayed, search for Telegram using the search bar or by scrolling through the list of applications. Once you find Telegram, tap it with your finger to access the App Info screen.
- Now tap on Permissions
- Tap on Contacts and select Allow
- Log in to Telegram again and check if the contacts are now visible.
Maybe the application you are currently using has a bug or you have been using Telegram for a long time and you have not made all the updates published by the Google Play Store. So you end up with an outdated app that can no longer sync properly with the contacts you have saved in your phonebook.
What can you do in this case? Very simply, you will need to update the Telegram app and if the problem was with the outdated app, you should be able to view your contacts on Telegram again. Let’s see how to update Telegram to its latest available version:
Connect to the Google Play Store
- Then press the circular icon of your profile that is next to the search bar (Search for apps and games).
- Now tap on Manage Apps & Devices tab.
- Under Updates available, click Show details
- A list of all apps pending update is displayed. I recommend you tap the Update All button to update all apps that have a new update available, but if you only want to update Telegram, tap the Update button to the right of that one. -this.
- Once you have updated Telegram, log into the app and check if your contacts are now displayed.
Clear your cache
Another simple solution you can try if Telegram is not showing contacts on Android is to clear its cache. Everything will remain as you left after clearing the cache, as this allows you to save files that only serve to make the application faster, but if these files conflict with each other for no one knows what reason, you might have some issues with the app working including errors and not showing contacts.
After being cleared, the cache will recreate itself, making the app run faster again and if there was an issue with the cache that was causing contacts not showing up on Telegram, it should finally be fixed. To clear the cache of Telegram for Android, follow these steps:
Go to the Settings application that you have preinstalled on your Android smartphone.
- Go to the Apps section, then to the All apps section.
- You will get a list with all the apps installed on your device. Search for the Telegram app using the search bar or scroll through the alphabetized apps until you reach the Telegram app. Once you find the app, tap it with your finger to access the App Info screen.
- Now you have to tap on the Memory item and in the new window that appears you should see the Clear cache button. Tap on it and you will clear the files in the cache of the Telegram app and as I mentioned above the cache will recreate with the use of the app.
- That’s it, log in to Telegram and check if the contacts are now displayed.
Remove and reinstall Telegram
Telegram may not show contacts because something in the app is corrupted. In this case, the best solution is to completely remove Telegram and reinstall it from scratch. Before deleting the app, I recommend that you back up your conversations and then proceed with deleting and reinstalling Telegram.
Telegram is generally an instant messaging application that does not cause particular problems, but sooner or later, because of the person who developed it or the person who uses it, something can go wrong not work properly. If, as we have seen, you cannot see your contacts on Telegram, I hope that the solutions found in this guide have helped you to solve the problem and that now everything is working correctly again.
Thanks for reading!