Trying to find an Instagram account? Someone bothering you on Instagram? Or maybe you’re trying to connect and make new friends. You may also be looking to filter out fake accounts.
Quick answer: You should only use honest and legal means to find Instagram accounts. The use of illegitimate means to find accounts is punishable by law. Also be aware of fake internet services. You need to use Instagram’s built-in features to track down an account.
We will start by looking at the different types of Instagram accounts available. Next, we’ll explore popular methods you can use to trace them. Finally, we answer some of the most frequently asked questions on the subject, so be sure to make it to the end of the article.
Understanding the different types of accounts
Before you start tracing, you need to understand what type of account you are dealing with. The type of account determines the amount of information you can collect as part of your search.
The largest number of accounts on Instagram are personal accounts. Personal accounts are intended for use by individuals for non-business purposes. Personal accounts can be public or private.
Public account information is visible to all platform users. You can browse the entire post history and list of users following you. You can also immediately send them private messages.
Private accounts are more restricted in nature. You can only find their name, bio, and photo ID if they didn’t accept your follow request. You also can’t send him a private message if you haven’t followed him yet.
Business accounts are for small business owners, retailers and local stores. Similarly, creator accounts are for social influencers, content producers, and other artists. Note that all accounts in these categories are public.
The fact of having a public account allows them to make themselves better known. It also means that it is much easier to trace these types of accounts.
Methods to Trace an Instagram account
Method #1: use Google
Google offers a free service to trace millions of Instagram accounts.
- Go to https://google.com or open the Google Search application.
- In the search bar, type site:instagram.com followed by the username or the full name of the Instagram account. For example, site:instagram.com elonmusk.
- The results list will give you all accounts matching the username or full name you entered.
Method #2: Using Spokeo
Spokeo is an intelligence service that searches the internet using social media information. It claims to have over 12 billion records to view. Spokeo charges a small fee before providing you with search results.
- Go to https://www.spokeo.com/signup and create a new account.
- Then enter the name or account name in the search field.
- Click on “Search now” and give it time to generate a complete social report.
Attention ! Beware of fake websites trying to scam you. Any tracing report they claim to have can be found and generated by following the methods described here.
Method #3: Retrieve information from Instagram posts
Instagram posts may contain the location information of the user who posted them.
- Go to Instagram web or mobile application and open the profile of the desired user.
- Under the list of posts, look for the name of the place in each post.
- Note the location and try again with another message.
- Repeat the above steps as many times as you want to get an overall estimate of the account location.
Method #4: Profile Bio Verification
Influencers and small business owners place their contact information in their account bio.
- Go to Instagram and open the profile of the desired user.
- Check his bio to see if he listed any info like phone number, email, etc.
- If they put a link to their website in the bio, open the website and look for the “contact us” or “about us” page.
Method #5: View Tagged Photos
You can find information about an account by viewing other linked accounts. Follow the steps below to find other associated users.
- Open the desired user profile.
- Go to the “Tagged” section.
- Browse tagged photos and get the relevant information you need.
Method #6: Check associated people
You can find out more about a person by looking at the other accounts associated with them. Follow the steps below to find other associated users.
- Open the user’s profile and search for other users tagged in their post.
- Then select “Follow” to open the list of accounts he follows.
- Open the user’s Instagram post and look at the first comments.
- Repeat one of the above methods on the new account you just gathered using these steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I see the phone number of a user that I follow?
If he has not published his phone number publicly, there is no way to see the Instagram user’s phone number. This rule applies to both private and public Instagram accounts.
Can I track the IP address of an Instagram account?
The IP address is sensitive information that reveals the location of the account. As such, Instagram respects the privacy of its users and does not disclose user IP addresses. Therefore, you cannot track the IP address of an account on the Instagram platform.
How to identify suspicious accounts in my profile?
You can identify suspicious accounts by consulting your list of followers. Instagram gives you the option to block any user who may be harassing you or causing you trouble. Look for usernames you don’t recognize or accounts that don’t post or show photos. You can also try sending them a message asking them to identify themselves. But you should not continue the conversation with suspicious accounts.
Tracing Instagram accounts based on the information they provide is legal. There are many fake tools on the internet. They claim to “trace” phone numbers, location coordinates, addresses, etc. What they are doing is actually scamming you out of your money. They provide the same information you can get using the above approaches.
Remember that you may need to obtain authorization before tracing someone else’s account. Also note that using hacking and social engineering methods is illegal. They should never be used.